Re: problem with ooffice from backports

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 18:07:22 -0400 (EDT), Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> I am running Lenny in a i386 machine. I have the following line in the
> sources.list file:
>
>  deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free
>
> After updating the package information, the openoffice.org-style-galaxy
> package appears in the following way in synaptic:
>
> openoffice.org-style-galaxy 1:3.2.0-4~bpo50+1
>
> But the openoffice.org and  openoffice.org-style-galaxy packages at
> backports are in version 1:3.1.1-15+squeeze1~bpo50+1, the same version is
> for the openoffice.org package in synaptic. This mismatch between the
> version of openoffice.org-style-galaxy in synaptic and in the backports site
> precludes me to install openoffice.org from backports. I commented the
> backports line in sources.list, updated the package information, uncommented
> again the line and updating the package information again, but the version
> of openoffice.org-style-galaxy package in synaptic remains the same wrong
> 1:3.2.0-4~bpo50+1. The situation is the following:
>
> package
>                version
>                                                     synaptic
>                                          backports.org
>
> openoffice.org                                1:3.1.1-15+squeeze1~bpo50+1
>                       1:3.1.1-15+squeeze1~bpo50+1
> openoffice.org-style-galaxy              1:3.2.0-4~bpo50+1
>                        1:3.1.1-15+squeeze1~bpo50+1
>

> How can I tell synaptic to updated the correct information
> regarding openoffice.org-style-galaxy version in order to match the one in
> the openoffice.org package? (the same problem with the style-oxygen package)

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about this, but I seem to
remember reading a post last month which said that synaptic doesn't respect
apt preferences.  Since backports are pinned at a different level than the rest
of the repositories, that may be your problem.  Try installing with aptitude
instead of synaptic.  If you are trying to install from backports, you will need
to use the -t option.  For example,

aptitude -t lenny-backports install ...

If you want the regular version of the packages, just leave off the -t option.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
 : :'  :