ALSA problem?

Hi all:

When trying to play a CD with Sound Juicer, I'm getting error “Could not open audio device for playback”

 Reason: Internal GStreamer error: state change failed.  Please file a bug at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer.

Totem movie player plays video without any sound at all.

However, I can use cdcd play to CD's with no  problem at all  from the command prompt.

Debian reference suggests to use speaker-test which givesthe next result:

speaker-test 1.0.16

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

What should I do next in order to fix sound?

Regards