Re: handling removable media without gnome-volume-manager

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:23:18PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> the rule file is a udev rule file, right ?

Correct.

> Doesn't this mean that in the case of a specific device, you can simply
> match the device exactly and then mount it to a static mount point ?

Yes, this is the most straightforward approach, for each USB MSD you
can write a udev rule and a correspoding fstab entry (or automount
mapping). A good resource for this is Daniel Drake's writeup at
<http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html>.

I did this for a long time but grew tired of having to edit conf files
every time I got a new toy. Hence, the label-based automount script.

> This seems like one of those problems which should have been solved a
> long time ago.

Gnome and KDE seem to do a pretty good job of handling this, as long
as you are willing to play within the bounds of the DE world. I'm kind
of a retro-grouch, so these things don't do me a whole lot of good.

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to