Re: connecting to WPA wireless network with ipw2100

----- Original Message -----
From: Seb <levi.vibes@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:32 pm
Subject: connecting to WPA wireless network with ipw2100
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

> Hello all!
>
> I just aquired an IBM Thinkpad X31 laptop and have to work out the
> wireless (amongst other things). The firmware (firmware-ipw2x00) and
> drivers are installed and working (I think).
>
> dojo:~# lspci | grep -i wireless
> 02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN
> 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)
>
> I'm using wicd from the lenny-backports since I had very good
> experiences with wicd on my other machines. However, if I try and
> connect to my wireless - WPA-TKIP, Mixed mode (B and G) - I keep
> getting the message: "Connection failed: Could not contact the
> wireless access point." I'm positive the WAP is up and running since
> I'm writing this here from my other machine through it.
>
> Syslog contains some dhclient messages that look like this:
>
> 00:57:52 dhclient: Listening on LPF/eth2/00:04:23:96:55:2a
> 00:57:52 dhclient: Sending on   LPF/eth2/00:04:23:96:55:2a
> 00:57:52 dhclient: Sending on   Socket/fallback
>
> And that's all that sticks out to me...
>
> Any hints/tips/clues much appreciated, let me know if you need any
> more info.
>
> TIA, Sebi

Hello,

Proving that your wireless card can communicate with your access point would be a good first step.  You can see if your card is picking up the access point by installing the wireless-tools package and then running this command:

/sbin/iwscan list

You should see information about every access point within an acceptable range of your laptop.  If your access point shows up, then at least you know that it is not a driver problem.  If it does not show up, or if you can't even get iwscan to work, then you might have a driver problem or some bad hardware.

I have a laptop with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG wireless card and it works fine on my WPA-TKIP wireless network using the ipw2200 driver.  (AP is a Linksys WAP54G).

Hope this helps.

    - Dave