Re: IMAP timing issue

In <[🔎] 201003020607.16885.ale@pcartwright.com>, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>I'm not sure what to do about this, maybe I am doing something wrong..
>I setup my wifes account as IMAP so she could read her email from
> home(Kmail) & work (using web mail). The problem is, at home, on our debian
> box, she runs Kmail. When she clicks on the inbox it takes forever to bring
> in all the messages, and if she clicks on another folder NOT in her inbox,
> next time she goes back, it starts over again with zero messages, retrieves
> them all, and it takes forever. Part of the problem is people that send
> monster ( OUTLOOK) messages with megabyte attachments..
>What can I do? I'm not that familiar with IMAP, would disconnected IMAP be
>better?

Those are both the same protocol has far as what's "on the wire".  As a KMail
user, I'd never use "IMAP" it has minimal caching so a server round-trip is
required for most operations, including reading mail.  It would only be
appropriate for a computer on the same LAN as the server, and even then only
if the client could not spare the disk space for the cache.

"disconnected IMAP" has some problems as well, but they aren't chronic the way
the performance issues are with "IMAP".  Sometimes the caches/indexes get out
of sync, but there are way to fix that from the GUI.