Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations)

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 07:34:03PM +0100, thib wrote:
> Clive McBarton wrote:
> >I find the concept very interesting in principle, although I am not sure
> >I can recommend it. In some respects single file systems are more
> >acceptable nowadays. In others they are not. Here are my $.02:

my 2c, with the size of HD's and the processing power we have now, I
really wonder if spending more than a second on deciding on a single
partition or not is worth it.  Are the amount of space lost - expressed
as a percentage of the disk really worth all the time being spent on it
?

And the cpu overhead for using separate partitions and lvm - again with
todays cpus....

my default laptop build is
partition 1 /boot - ext2 or ext3 about 500M - 1G
swap = to mem - my last 3 laptops have >3G memory so if I am swapping
there is something wrong
rest = 1 big partitions currently ext4

alex

[snip]