Re: -i386 to amd64

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 05:44:46PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
[...]
> Before moving an image of the old [i686] partition to the new computer I
> installed the amd64 kernel. I completed the install by using gparted from a
> rescue disk to merge the larger new partition with the old smaller one from
> the image. The previously installed amd64 kernel now listed on the grub2 menu
> was selected to boot the new computer, and up it came, without a glitch so
> basically I'm happy.
>
> However, it has transpired that it wasn't that simple to change from the i686
> kernel to amd64 even though my 32 packages will work under the amd64 kernel
> Apt and Dpkg for instance don't seem to know this has happened.
>
> I would hope someone knows a command line solution.  Is there a way
> to safely morph the old architecture into the new, like purging the i686
> kernel for instance or configuring APT or dpkg to upgrade with amd64
> versions.

It's been a while, but as I understand it, there is an -amd64 kernel
available in the -i686 repos, but that doesn't mean you're running in
the 64 bit architecture. That requires a number of other things to
happen, including changing to a 64-bit libc and so forth. I have done
the migration in place, but it's tedious and no fun. I don't remember
the specifics, but it required multiple reboots and quite a bit of
hackery. In other words, with the installers being so good these days,
I don't think it's worth the effort. Just backup your data, export
your apt selections and reinstall into a 64-bit architecture and
restore your stuff.

very much my .02