Re: release cycles, security supports for multiple OSes

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:28:23 +0000, Kelly Harding wrote:

>>> Neither of which are enterprise/stable releases in the same vein at
>>> RHEL, Debian stable etc, hence not ncluded.
>>
>> Uh? I cannot speak for Fedora but sure openSUSE is rock-solid and has
>> stable release cycle. I was using it in my servers and workstations for
>> the last 6 years.
>>
>> Besides, the OP did mention nothing about "enterprise" or "long term",
>> just "distros/operating systems" so the table is very good but leaves
>> many other distros (Archlinux, openSUSE, Fedora, Gentoo,
>> openSolaris...) :-)
>
> I was meaning in relation to that chart, which does state 'enterprise'.
> SuSE have their own
> offering for that, hence openSUSE isn't really valid there I guess.

We should first define what an "enterprise" OS is.

Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista (listed in the chart) are more
far away for an "enterprise" OS than openSUSE, I think, or at least at
the same /level/, to say something >:-)

Solaris/openSolaris is also missing.

Greetings,

--