Re: Correct binary for Intel Core i5

On 2/25/2010 11:05 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
Mark -- thanks for the warning about the limitations of the built-in
video.  I do intend to have Windows 7 on this computer as well, inside
of a vmware cage.

Based on the discussion, I will plan to press ahead with an Intel
motherboard and use onboard video as Plan A.  If that proves inadequate,
I will add an nVidia-based video card as Plan B.

-PT

That is fine, you can have alternate video to the built-in.

However, there is no point in adding a card to your setup as Plan B with Windows inside a VM, as the video is emulated. VirtualBox can have accelerated video inside a VM by translating DX9 calls in Win into OpenGL calls on the Linux host, but even there, the device driver inside the VM does not even *pretend* to be an NVIDIA card.

If you want both Linux and Windows, you should have two separate computers. My personal setup is a (rather fancy) Linux box, and a (rather fancy) Windows Box. With 24" 16:10 monitors on each.

For serious work, the Linux machine gets lots of attention. For relaxation, my Windows machine steps up. (For mindless alien killing, my PS2, PS3, XBOX 360, etc, does nicely.)

Mark Allums