Re: netstat ?

[Please reply only to the list, as per the CoC.]

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:56:48 -0500
Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> > In Debian, Wireshark should probably never be run as root, even when
> > capturing packets.  See the README.Debian:

> I am familiar with the wireshark group from usage on non-Debian
> systems. IIRC on gentoo I had to build wireshark with particular USE
> flags so that non-root users in the wireshark group could capture
> (could be mistaken here).
>
> I have a feeling that is not the wireshark version from stable that
> you are displaying the README.Debian from.

Correct.  I'm running Sid.

> Last up we have the wireshark group. This was not created by wireshark
> installation. `dpkg-reconfigure wireshark-common` does not provide an
> option separate installation methods.
>
> I am afraid these features and documentation you are referring to are
> not present in Debian stable.

Quite possibly.  In any event, running wireshark as root is quite
dangerous, IIRC, as the program has a scary history of badly written
dissectors that can be manipulated by malicious packets, and I believe
that at least some of the exploits have allowed arbitrary code
execution.  You do *not* want that happening as root.

Celejar