Re: support for experimental? (was: Re: annoying 4gb seg fixup)

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 11:39:32 Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:52, Chris Bannister
>
> <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> >>
> >> That isn't true, though there may be few (if any) other people here
> >> using any given package therefrom.
> >
> > I wouldn't reccommend that its ok to mix experimental, etc. willy nilly,
> > and then expect to get help when it all goes belly up.

Agreed.  I'd most likely suggest that you purge the package and install the
unstable version to try and reproduce the issue.

ISTR one of the DDs on debian-kde requesting volunteers to install some
packages from experimental and report bugs.  But generally, packages in
experimental may not be fit for end-users and the DDs may not want bug reports
yet.

> <shug> Experimental works fine for me, generally.

Note that adding experimental to your /etc/apt/sources.list{.d} is not
sufficient to actually start pulling packages from there.  The Release file
for experimental (much like the one for backports) has a header value that
causes apt/aptitude to pin it a priority 1.

Priority 1 packages are only used by apt/aptitude when explicitly requested or
as a last resort for dependencies.  You may have experimental in your
/etc/apt/sources.list{.d} and not be using many/any packages from there.

Apt/Aptitude will prefer already installed packages over anything at priority
1, meaning that even if you installed experimental packages in the past, you
may not be running the current experimental package.