Re: how to convince that debian is one the three major choices for a stable server environment?

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
Γιώργος Πάλλας <gpall@ccf.auth.gr> :
(it is, isn't it? :-) ) So, yes, we are moving on from our 10year experience with gentoo

What reasons have you collected to decide to move from Gentoo?

I want 'x' program installed, and I want it *now* to solve a burning situation. But I can't have it! Because I'm a happy gentoo user! I have to get it, compile it, oh I forgot the snmp flag, recompile it, and there I am!

The drop that filled the bucket (or whatever the expression is), was that we can't have the latest PHP with the latest SNMP module because of a certain PHP bug that is refused to be dealt with in Gentoo - in debian it works fine. Anyway, don't ask me any further Gentoo specific questions, I don't want to know more about Gentoo, I just want to forget it!