Re: Two Lenny problems

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 02:48:07 Cecil Knutson wrote:
> Yes, Lisi, I did see the later post telling me to use Kwrite as root.  I
> don't see it on the applications menu, so I guess I will have to install
> it.  How do I use it as root?

From my earlier email (slightly edited, to allow for the fact that I now know
that you use some KDE applications but are running Gnome):

<quote>
Do Alt+F2.
Type "gksu kwrite" (without the quotation marks) in the small window that
opens.

When asked for password, enter the root password.

When Kwrite opens, load file as you would in a wordprocessor.

Save As to a new name.  (e.g. conf.file.old)

Reload file under original name.
Edit.  Save.  Close Kwrite.
</quote>

But gedit is a also a graphical editor, so if you have that (and you probably
have since you are running Gnome), you could see how you get on with it -
tho' you would still need to run it as root.

Lisi