Re: Blank screen..........

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 23:10:36 +0900 Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> sent
this information:

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 01:29:12PM +1100, charlie wrote:
>>
>> Using Debian testing
>>
>> After this mornings upgrade, rebooted and the Acer Aspire 3614 laptop
>> boots and I get the grub list of kernels and when I use select latest
>> trunk a blank screen happens and the light flashes and nothing
>> happens on the monitor.
>>
>> One of the upgrades this morning was udev - obviously changed
>> something and now am unable to get anything on the monitor.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
>1. Boot system from other partition (or live CD/DVD).
>2. Change boot setting to boot into console
>3. Remove framebuffer based pretty boot screen
>4. Update system with newer deb with bug fix or install old working deb
>   forcebly.
>
>Tips around:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_rescue_with_the_dpkg_command
>should help.
>
>Once you have working system, reenable one-by-one.
>
>Osamu

Thank you Osamu,

I boot into a console, and usually the screen displays what's
happening, but now does not.

I do not use a login manager, boot into console and enter: username -
password - then startx. By which you must mean "framebuffer based
pretty boot screen"?

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that when I shut down, the
machine stopped displaying the messages as it shut down. I thought this
may have been a "new Debian policy" so didn't mention it.

In Lenny, on the same machine, everything works as it should with
messages displayed upon boot and shutdown, so it's not a hardware
problem.

Thanks for the link, will read it now.

Thank you,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

The definition of stupid is doing something the same way twice and
expecting different results. ....Albert Einstein