From: Paul E Condon [mailto:pecondon@mesanetworks.net]
Sent: February 18, 2010 4:59 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Scary article in Wall Street Journal today

On 20100218_132513, Mark wrote:

> > >On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:25:04 -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > > Today in Wall Street Journal (pg 3 in US edition), there is an
> > > article about hacker break-ins to computers via the internet.
> > > Mentioned as the method of break-in are spyware called ZeuS, and
> > > Firefox browser, but no mention of what OS are aflicted.
> >

> As someone still learning about Debian/Linux, is it a correct
> statement to say that these spyware/malware/virus .exe type files that

> try to install on a given machine, are virtually useless against
> Debian systems unless the user logs in as root to allow installation?

> At a minimum, wouldn't synaptic/aptitude request the root password
before proceeding?

> Mark

I'm the OP on this thread, so by no means an authority of Debian
security, but ...

Synaptic/aptitude already run with root privileges in order to be able
to install the executable programs that are downloaded from Debian
repositories.  So root password requirement is not a realistic response
to whatever is being done.

I'm aware of various security measures that *are* realistic defense
against various attacks. These measures involve cryptographics and
certificates and keyrings. I have learned to be somewhat complacent
about web security, but there was something about this article that got
me wondering if I shouldn't revisit the issue of security on Debian.
Now, it looks to me like same-old-same-old. If so, the worry morphs into
a worry about an onslaught of newbies moving to Debian and flooding this
list with silly newbie questions (like mine of not so long ago). But
that really isn't a worry, because, same-old-same-old, Windows users
appear to be invincibly ignorant.

Thanks to all for useful links.
--
Paul E Condon