Re: Two Lenny problems

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 02:57:05 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:

> Thanks, Stephen!! Got Opera installed after getting to the right
> directory, getting the syntax correct, and eliminating a spurious
> directory.  Am using it now.  I tried Epiphany and Iceweasel and both
> would hang forever just trying to go to debian.org or hp.com!!

I'm glad you were successful getting Opera installed.  As for the
hangs in Epiphany and Iceweasel, I've never seen that before.  It
makes me wonder if there is something else wrong with your installation.
I found both of them to be quite useable and reliable.

> I installed Konqueror and it would go to either with no delay or hang.  But
> all my contacts and bookmarks are with Opera, and I had used it with
> Kubuntu 9.10, so I wanted to use a familiar program.  I use it in Windows
> too.

To each his own.

> The link you gave only had MIDI driver installation instructions, but I
> assume that is what you meant when speaking about sound.  I will go
> through the steps to see if it makes a difference.

I do have stuff in there about getting the internal MIDI synthesizer
to work, but I'm not sure how applicable it is in the general case.
It works for that specific audio chip on that specific laptop, but
whether it will work in the general case or not, I don't know.

But that's not what I'm referring to.  The "Testing" Section contains
instructions for using alsamixer, unmuting channels, adjusting volume,
installation of utilities used to test sound, etc.  Once you have
basic sound working there is another whole section on GNOME sound
configuration.

> Do I use any word
> processor, like Kword or Open Office Writer, to create MIDI.sh?  I assume
> the file would be saved in /etc/init.d.

You're a GUI man, I can tell.  Many of the Linux machines that I support
are back-end servers that don't even have X installed.  I generally use
the vi text editor.  But any text editor will do.  gedit on the GNOME
desktop will do, if you're not used to traditional Linux/Unix editors.

> I just got another response
> continuing the Opera install, so I will post this and get back to your
> page later.  Thanks again.

Have fun.