Two Lenny problems

There is no sound from any of the ports on the computer. System Profiler says the multimedia audio controller is an Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW, and a Creative Labs SB Audigy LS, but only the Intel shows up on the Sound Preferences dialog window as Intel ICH6-IEC958. The sound hardware is good: it works on a machine running Windows 7 Ultimate and another machine running Windows XP Pro. When I try to test the system sounds, an error message says the Gnome Audio Package is not installed, but there is no such package in Aptitude nor Synaptic. What must be done to get sound to work? The second problem concerns installing Opera 10.10. I downloaded the Debian-Linux version of Opera 10.10 (opera_10.10.4742.gcc4.qt3_i386) to the /home/cecil folder, opened a terminal window, issued an install command (install opera_10.10.4742gcc4.qt3_i386 /home/cecil), and nothing happens. Probably should have been to some bin folder, but which? If not, what must be done to install the package? In Kubuntu 9.10 just double-clicking the file installs the package, why is Lenny so obtuse?

--
"There are two infinities: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein