Re: Intel Atom Processor

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 07:33:14 +1100, Alex Samad wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 03:48:03PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> There are still reasons to install a 64 bits kernel if the micro
>> supports it. In fact, I have an Intel Celeron with just 1 GiB of RAM
>> (max. allowed is 2 GiB) and installed a 64 bits (amd64) Debian, just
>> for compatibility issues with the rest of the machines which are also
>> running 64 bits kernels :-)
>
> interesting, could you elaborate, I have a mix of 32/64 bit machines and
> I can understanding the advantage of keep them all 64 bit, well the only
> 1 I can think of is package space / caching of packages, but I use the
> same config files across i386/amd64....

The main advantage of keeping the same architecture in this computer
(even having no performance gain at all) is using it like a "guinea pig"
for testing updates and packages that I can then install on production
systems.

It is no rare to see broken packages for 64-bits but not the 32-bits
counterparts (or viceversa) so I prefer to first perform any test in the
closest environment I can simulate to prevent further problems when
implementing the updates or installing new packages on working systems.

Having a 32-bit system on that computer has less benefit for me than
installing a 64-bits one. That said, I also have a 32-bits VM, just for
making comparisons between all of them :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón