Re: Building kernel image packages with make-kpkg, custom dependency

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 03:17:20PM -0500, Cliff Flood wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:11 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 02:36:37PM -0500, Cliff Flood wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm having some problems with building kernel image packages using `make-kpkg`
> >>
> >> I'm trying to build a package with a custom dependency and have tried
> >> editing the control files generated by make-kpkg but find that these
> >> changes don't make it into the produced package.
> >>
> >> So let me back up and explain what's going on.
> >>
> >> I need to distribute a custom kernel-img.conf to my systems (to ensure
> >> they have "silent_modules" set to "yes" which will allow unattended
> >> upgrades of kernels that match the one that is currently installed)
> >> and I'm doing this by including kernel-img.conf in one of my parent
> >> packages. This first version of this package that included this file I
> >> wish to include as a dependency for my distributed kernel image
> >> packages.

Why not do it the other way around, and have your custom package depend on
the kernel?

> >> While I'm on the topic I had another problem I have solved but if
> >> there's a better way of doing this I'd like to hear it; On my systems
> >> /boot is mounted RO so it must be remounted RW before a kernel can be
> >> installed. I've achieved this by patching the "preinst" generated by
> >> make-kpkg, is there a better way?
> >
> > Is it just /boot ? Or some other parts of the file system? What happens
> > when you need to insall / upgrade grub?
>
> Just /boot
>
> Manually running something like `update-grub` results in error if
> /boot isn't remounted RW first, and this is the step of the kernel
> image install process I've had to work around as there doesn't seem to
> be any hook for dealing with RO /boot

I'd use preinst_hook, postinst_hook, prerm_hook, and postrm_hook in
/etc/kernel-img.conf for this, comined with two small scripts: one that
remounts /boot RW, and one that calls update-grub and then remounts /boot
RO again. (The first is called by the pre*, the second by the post* hooks).