Re: Air compressors vs. canned air

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>>...and might be able to
>> comment on the respective merits of air compressors vs. air cans..?
>>
>> CJ
>
> in a recent point and shoot camera surgery i regret using compressed
> air cans. after a certain * of rotation the can might expel high
> velocity condensation onto whatever delicate electronics you are
> working with. like...  interior camera optics.
>
> i would highly suggest the air compressor. i have never heard of an
> air compressor shooting water out of its hose...

It does happen.  I work in industrial painting and we do have equipment
for drying our air.  When our dryer failed last year, we did have water
come out our hoses and it had a cataclysmic effect on the paint job when
it got into our guns.

This happens when there is high humidity at atmospheric pressure and the
humidity condenses after compression.  In a climate controlled office,
this shouldn't be a problem, but be aware that this could happen if the
humidity is high enough.  Water on a board is no big deal if there is no
voltage differential across any of the components or traces.  It is
needlessly courageous to blow off live equipment anyway, regardless of the
source of air.

Please don't use the readily available R-134a bottles.  I am not yet
convinced of the environmental safety of this coolant.

Timothy Legg