Re: Debian installation on laptop with damaged screen

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 04:46:41 -0500 (EST), Odd wrote:

> Partially success. I booted the Debian Live CD, and could
> see everything, until the text mode booting was over, and
> Debian logo came up. Then it changed back to the laptop
> screen, and remained there. Fn+F4 did not work anymore.
>
> I assume there's an option for changing output under
> preferences, but the damage makes it impossible to see.
>
> I suppose there's a way to change the display output from
> Bash. Anybody know how? My googling has come up short.

If you switch to text console 1 via Ctrl+Alt+F1, do you get
your display back on the external monitor?  (Possibly after
using Fn+F4 again.)  If so, the problem is probably specific
to the X server configuration.  With a live CD, there
probably isn't an X server configuration, per se, it's relying
on all default settings.  But there's hope that an actual
*install* of Debian will work.  Use the non-graphical
installer to get Debian installed, then see if you can get
X working by monkeying around with the X configuration.
Examining /var/log/Xorg.0.log may provide some clues.