Re: Debian installation on laptop with damaged screen

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:45:13 -0500 (EST), iodine@runbox.no wrote:
> Turns out you and David Maus was right. Fn+F4 did the trick.
> Somehow I had convinced myself that that only worked after
> booting. Thanks for the suggestion !!

If you can get into the BIOS setup program, you can probably make
"external monitor only" the default setting.  Some laptops use
an external program to manage this setting.  For example,
on my IBM ThinkPad 600, I have a maintenance partition that
I boot from the grub menu that runs Windows 95 in MS-DOS mode.
(That's a full-screen C:\> prompt, no WIN.EXE.)  From there I
use the PS2 utility to set the option.  For example:

   PS2 SCREEN CRT

A soft boot via Ctrl+Alt+Delete after this activates the
option.  From then on, the power-on default is external CRT
only.

Consult your hardware documentation.  There's probably a way
to do it.  Once you have it set, you don't have to worry about
it anymore.