Re: dvd burner can't read cds

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:04:30 -0500 (EST), Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> The SATA dvd burner in my desktop doesn't have any analog output so
> cdplay (or cdcd) does not work (disk is spinning and led is blinking
> but no audio).

How sad.  Apparently, the drive *does* support the play command,
but if there's no place to plug in an audio cable, there's no
way to get sound out of it.  And if there's no headphone jack either,
then the analog play function is basically useless.  :-(
It reminds me of a quote by my high school chemistry teacher:
"An engineer that can't write reports is like a cow without teats".

   cdinfo -v

and

   cdir

will also give you a status of what the hardware is doing.
(i.e. whether the device is playing or not, what track is
playing, how many minutes have elapsed on the track, etc.

....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7....+....8
> In windows (2k and xp at least) you can set the device to handle audio
> in digital.
> Media player uses digital audio anyway.

OK.

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Here's one way to be sure.  Play a CD in Windows.  While
>> the CD is playing, unplug the audio cable, either at the
>> drive end or the sound card end.  If sound suddenly
>> disappears, the media player is using the analog method.
>> If you continue to hear sound, it's using the digital method.
>
> There's an easier way: change CD volume volume from audio mixer. When
> using digital it has no effect (PCM would do).

True.  And it's easier to implement for computers where it's
difficult to access the hardware while the machine is running,
such as in a laptop.  But unplugging the cable is very effective
at convincing people!

> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> If you can get the analog method to work under Windows, then
>> chances are that cdplay was not talking to the correct drive
>> under Linux.  Either that or the drive uses some type of
>> non-standard command set that the Windows media player
>> understands but cdplay, which follows the industry standard
>> command set, does not.
>
> It's more complex than that: I tested the unit on a different win xp
> pc this morning and everything worked fine (analog included).

Uhh ... OK, now I'm confused.  You just said that the drive does not
have any analog audio output.  So it can't work in analog mode in
*any* PC, right?  But you just said you got it to work in analog
mode in another PC!  How is that possible?  Are we talking about
two different DVD drives?  Are you sure that win xp was using
analog mode?

> Same
> with ubuntu karmic and slitaz started from a USB stick. On its pc
> instead the drive reads cds in digital only with win2k and it doesn't
> read them at all in linux (cdplay, cdcd, rhythmbox, ecc.) while
> working fine with data cdrom and dvd. It must be some strange wicked
> of motherboard, drive and lenny.

Now I'm even more confused.  I don't remember whether my Debian box
uses totem or rhythmbox, but I'm pretty sure that whatever is the
default media player uses the digital playback method.