Re: Aptitude status output meaning

2010/2/11 Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:
> On 2010-02-11 08:30 +0100, Guy Marcenac wrote:
>
>> What is the meaning of [-107] in the status output of aptitude ?
>> Current status: 0 updates [-107]
>
> It means that there are 107 less than before, i.e. you have just
> upgraded 107 packages.

I take the opportunity of this question (and apparently, someone who
knows a bit about aptitude), since I was also wondering about this...

Is there someplace a full manual of the output of aptitude ?

I haven't found a description of what this number means anywhere, and
I'm also puzzled on a lot of other outputs. For example, when
proposing an upgrade solution, aptitude says things like "indi
[4:3.5.5-1 (stable, stable, now) -> 4:3.5.8-1 (testing, unstable,
testing, unstable)]" (that's an old one...). I get the gist of it, it
wanted to update from version 3.5.5 to 3.5.8, and probably also said
that 3.5.5 was (at the time) the 'stable' version and 3.5.8 the
'testing' one (or was it the 'unstable' ? Or was it both at once?),
but I don't get all of it...

aptitude man page is not helpful, I haven't found this in the online
doc either... Did I miss a "complete" doc (apart from the code
itself!) ?

Thanks!
--
Rémi Moyen