Re: how to find bad blocks

#include <hallo.h>
* James Zuelow [Tue, Feb 09 2010, 08:58:15AM]:

> Can you get SMART data from it?
>
> I don't think you can list the bad blocks that the drive is re-mapping, but you can certainly get the number of times the drive has had to do that.
>
> The manpage for smartctl describes how to query individual disks behind various RAID controllers.

And if that doesn't work then you can use dd_rescue to copy the data to
another harddisk and store the list of bad blocks on-the-fly.

If you need to know which files are damaged, in many cases you can later
use that bad block list to retrieve the file list with
debug / administrative tools for particular file system.

Regards,
Eduard.

--
<Joey> Jeder, der mich verwirrt, muss einen oeffentlichen Security-Bug fixen
	und einen Absatz fuer's DWN schreiben.