Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:58:51 -0500 (EST), Tom Furie wrote:
> The commented option lines are showing their default values. It might be
> worth setting VTAllocation=false (in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, [daemon]
> section) and see if that has any effect.
>
> Hmm, from a gdm session logged in on tty7, logging out restarts X but on
> tty8. Logging out of that session also restarts X, but it stays on tty8.
> Restarting, or stopping and starting, gdm brings it back up still on
> tty8. This behaviour doesn't seem to be altered by the VTAllocation
> setting. According to Xorg.0.log, VT8 is being passed in from the
> command line.

I was able to reproduce the symptoms that you describe above when I first
arrived home.  I verified that the X server was running on vt 7, then
did a logout.  The login screen started on vt 8.  From then on, no matter
what I did to stop and restart the server, it ended up on vt 8.  There
were some pending updates; so I applied updates, shutdown, and rebooted.
But now I can no longer (at least for now) reproduce the problem.
No matter how I shutdown and restart the server, it ends up on vt 7,
which is of course the desired behavior.

Does that mean it's fixed?  Maybe.  Then again, maybe not.  I found
the following bug report:

It was originally opened on January 14, 2006; so this bug is more than
four years old.  It has been opened and closed several times and is marked
unreproducible!  This is not a good sign.