Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:58:06 -0500 (EST), Mike Viau wrote:

> Hello Debian community,
>
> I have been looking for a guide to convert an rpm package (specifically
> a kernel -
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm)
> over into a deb binary or even a tarball will work for me.
>
> Unfortunately my internet searches are resulting in very old means
> to accomplish this task.
>
> http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/kern2deb/
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-extract-an-rpm-package-without-installing-it.html
>
> I have tried "alien -t myrpmfile.rpm" and
> "rpm2cpio myrpmfile.rpm | cpio -idmv" with no success.
>
> Therefore I was hoping someone could devise a quick how to for making
> recent rpm based kernels into a debian binary.
>
> Your time with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

As you have discovered, there is an "alien" package for dealing with rpm
packages, but it is MUCH MUCH better to install a native Debian package,
ESPECIALLY if it is a kernel.  What specific real-world problem are you
trying to solve?  Why is a Debian stock kernel not adequate?  Is there some
kernel option that is enabled in the Redhat kernel that is not enabled
in the Debian kernel?  Is the Redhat kernel based on a release of the Linux
kernel that is not available in Debian?

If you need to build a custom kernel in Debian, I would recommend

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

That happens to be my own web page and I am in the process of updating
it even as I write this e-mail, but my changes haven't been moved into
production yet.

I guess the basic question to be answered, though, is why you think
you need this specific kernel from a Redhat system installed on a Debian
system.