Re: knetworkmanager on debian testing broken

tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:
>
>> Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:
>>
>>> After yesterday'ss upgrade to version 0.7.999-2, I cannot connect to any
>>> network, wireless or not.
>>>
>>> Related bug: 567354 -
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=567354
>>>

>> And by the way, I have a question: I have seen on a kubuntu machine, a
>> nice network manager GUI. Can I install this on my debian machine? Does
>> it support openvpn, vpnc, mobile, etc? And most importantly, what is the
>> package's name?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> G.
>>

>  Hi, not sure about Kubuntu but it may be NetworkManager's plasmoïd,
> it's in Debian experimental currently under the name
> "plasma-widget-networkmanagement". So it's nm under the hood with vpn
> support (but nm brokenness too) , and the package is currently in
> experimental for a reason: buggy (tried it a few weeks ago).
> Another gui is "wicd", it's nice and works well, but I am not aware of a
> plugging for vpn that goes with it. You can use another gui application
> maybe, like "kvpnc" (never tried that one, name's suggest it should be
> up to the job...).
> Can't comment on connection through "mobile".

You're right, its called plasma-widget-networkmanagement but it is
buggy... I tried wicd which tortured me a little because it seemed to
have a problem either with dhclient3 or network-manager which remained
installed after I removed network-manager-kde. After I removed both
dhclient3 and network-manager, I reinstalled wicd and it worked fine.

Thanks!
G.