Re: Alt+F7 fails to switch to graphical console (X server) from a text console under some conditions

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 01:11:02AM +0000, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 01:01:17 +0000
> Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 06:02:30PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >
> > > I have been having trouble lately with losing access to my
> > > graphical console. The basic symptom is that I am in the
> > > graphical console, I switch to a text console via Ctrl+Alt+F1, do
> > > some stuff in the text console, then when I attempt to switch
>

> > Have you checked Alt+F8, Alt+F9, possibly even beyond? On one of my
> > systems, for reasons that are still unclear to me, GDM occasionally
> > runs somewhere between tty8-10 after I've logged in and out a few
> > times. I can only guess it's restarting before it's fully stopped.

>   Same thing here - running Debian testing...and after switching
> back and forth a few times GDM ends up on tty8 instead of 7.
>

> - --
> Frank

I have this kind of behaviour since 2.6.30-2, so maybe its not kernel
related. My system has nvidia drivers installed the Debian way, using nv or
nvidia makes no difference, one day by Chance I tried tty8 where X was,
witch is odd.
  José Santos  | Debian Squeeze/Sid mixed system
jsantos@ubi.pt |    2.6.30.1-686 SMP PREEMPT