Re: apt-pinning: how to avoid installing of all-new packages?

>Brian C wrote:
> Adrian Zaugg wrote on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:09:30 -0800
>
>> PS: If you see the error:
>>
>> relocation error: /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3: symbol krb5_hmac, version
>> k5crypto_3_MIT not defined in file libk5crypto.so.3 with link time reference
>>
>> you were hit by the above mentioned bug. To solve, do the following:
>>
>>         apt-get remove --purge libk5crypto3
>>
>> (You may need to purge others for hygienic reasons.) Then
>>
>>         apt-get install --reinstall libkrb53
>
> Thank you so much for mentioning this fix. I run (ran) a mixed
> Lenny/Squeeze system and after the recent updates something installed
> libk5crypto3 and made it so that apache2 would not start. This was on my
> webserver, so that was obviously not good. Your message is (right now)
> the only thing online that explains a fix. Thanks again.
>
> (I don't know how to prevent libk5crypto3 from being installed again,
> but I just set all my sources to Lenny and commented out the Squeeze
> sources entirely for the time being, so that should work.)

[snip]

Hi, to prevent reinstall of a specific package you can create a
/etc/apt/preferences file (or create one in /etc/apt/preferences.d/,
both methods work) with the following content:

Package: libk5crypto3
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: -1

Be aware that holding back a package indefinitely may lead to dependency
breakage at some point.

If you are not already using an /etc/apt/apt.conf (or
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/local) file, you can also benefit from creating one
to keep a mixed system. The following content will set "lenny" as your
default distribution:

APT::Default-Release "lenny";

the command "apt-cache policy [package]" will print the actual priority
policy for your system (or a specific [package]).

There's a lot more refinement to the art of mixing Debian's levels, and
I don't pretend to be a master in this art, "man apt.conf" and "man
apt_preferences" are.

Hope it helps.