Re: Pango: Iceweasel vs. Chrome

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:00:16 +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:30:07 +0000 (UTC) Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > Basically the difference is that Chrome repects the XSETTINGS
> > configuration but not the detailed fontconfig settings. If you are
> > running both browsers in a GNOME session then Chrome will use
> > XSETTINGS.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I'm quite unfamiliar with both XSETTINGS and
> fontconfig, and would like to translate the difference between Chrome
> and Iceweasel (that you point out) into improvement in Iceweasel's
> font-handling.  Wonder if there's some documentation on this?

Step 1: Find out your font-related GTK settings. You can use the
gtksettings.c program from the chromium bug report that was pointed out
earlier by Liam[1], or you can try either "xrdb -query | grep Xft"
(basic X) or "gconftool-2 --all-entries /desktop/gnome/font_rendering"
if you use Gnome.

Step 2: Transfer these settings to your ~/.fonts.conf or the
system-level configuration files in /etc/fonts/. The documentation of
the configuration files[2] should already be on your system as part of
the fontconfig package. It might be easier to use a comparison of
fonts.conf with the xrdb output[3] to learn how to write an equivalent
fonst.conf.

Step 3: Iceweasel should respect the new fontconfig settings the next
time it is started.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=18159#c11
[2] file:///usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/11/msg03003.html

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |