Network Manager & Mobile Broadband

I am using the Gnome desktop with 'network manager'(ver. 0.7.996)  to
control and setup my internet connections.  Here I use
a mobile broadband using a HUAWEI E160E modem ... and my provider is
Internode.  To assist with these tasks I have installed the network
manager applet on my panel.

Now when it works it is brilliant!  It starts automatically with the
computer startup, and then just sits there and does the business ...
much faster than the old dialup connection which it has replaced.
however, some times it doesn't start ... and I have to go through the
bother of de-installing and re-installing the account.  Is this setup a
little 'flakey' for others too? At other times I have to unplug the
device, wait and then replug it is (usb) before reconfiguring it.

On another partition I have a copy of the KDE release candidate for
LinuxMint 8.  This seems to be less of a problem for my combination.
This is however for testing ... and I prefer to use gnome desktop.  Any
suggestions??

Is there a CLI way to configure/reconfigure this system ... which may
be more reliable than network manager??

Richard

Eraina and Richard Jenkins
'at the coast' = Mossy Point NSW