Re: Can Anyone Explain the over-all view of Wireless Networking?

Celejar wrote:
> This is the networking subsystem attempting to configure the wireless
> interface.
>

>> Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:18:f8:29:b5:96
>> Sending on   Socket/fallback
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
>> DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
>> No DHCPOFFERS received.
>> No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>> done.
>>

> It is failing.  Now, IME, most such failures are due to the card not
> being properly associated with the AP.  You can determine this by
> either looking at syslog, or by calling 'iwconfig wlan0'.  If it's
> properly associated, the first two lines should be something like this:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"nnnnnnn"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 12:34:56:78:99:aa
>
> If it's not, you'll see something like this:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated
>
> Information in syslog will be helpful in determining the cause of failure.

Stuff like this in dmesg:

status=10 aid=0)
[  575.125696] wlan0: AP denied association (code=10)
[  575.321089] wlan0: association with AP 00:0b:86:bb:83:40 timed out
[  594.893308] wlan0: deauthenticated (Reason: 1)
[  652.178643] wlan0: direct probe to AP 00:0b:86:bb:83:40 try 1

But, I gave up on it for now, having to move the machine back to its
original location, where when I set things back to the way they were
before I replaced the box around the hard drive, the wireless network
worked perfectly first time booting. So it must have something to do
with the ACUWireless network rejecting my system somehow.

I thought I was through with the machine, but I may have to bring it
back up to the ACUWireless network, so I might get to play with it some
more. The freeze/lock-ups I've mentioned are apparently not related to
the wireless setup, but to a more generalized flakiness in the box
itself. I ran memtest86+ (interestingly, memtest86 just rebooted the
machine everytime), and it didn't find any errors after about an hour's
worth of testing, but after about three minutes of me playing around in
memtest86+'s configuration screens, the machine froze (well, the
keyboard froze - previously freezings allowed the mouse cursor to move,
but not to click, and the keyboard also was frozen). Since memtest86+ is
just a simple app running directly on the hardware just after the
BIOS/POST (i.e., it's it's own mini-OS), that tells me the freezes are
definitely hardware-related. I'll swap the RAM sticks around a bit,
maybe play with the BIOS settings, but I think the mobo is probably
flakey, and I'll have to find yet another computer to replace this one; arg!

Thanks for all the help, folks! I'm still no where close to seeing the
big picture of how all the components of networking fit together, but
I'm a little less in the dark than I was. I appreciate it!

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com