Re: apt-listbugs question

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:01:42 -0700
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I can't figure out how to get apt-listbugs to work.
> Can someone post an example of the use of apt-listbugs? I mean the actual text
> of what one types to get something other than error messages from it.

I believe that aptitude runs it automatically when installing /
upgrading packages- at least it does here, and I'm pretty sure that I
didn't have to set up anything manually.

> Is a user supposed to run it from an xterm window? I don't have any tweeking of
> the squeeze install, it is pretty much what one gets using the business-card
> CD from December time frame. I do have a local proxy using approx that has been
> working for many months.

I, too, use approx.

> Error messages are:
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>
> I'm in USA. Whatever locale settings that I have, were set up by
> answering questions in the business-card install scripts from about a
> month ago. I'm pretty sure I simply accepted the defaults offered by
> the script, as I have no competence in any language other than
> (American) English.

These are common error messages.  I'm not sure what they mean, but they
aren't relevant to your problem.

> It doesn't seem to need super user to run. All the options seem to be for
> ways to restrict the output. But I'd like to have an unrestricted output
> of all bugs in all installed packages --- at least until I see too much
> for a while. But beyond those there lines, I get nothing. I don't believe
> there are no outstanding bugs in squeeze.

No.  Read the man page - you don't seem to be invoking it correctly.
It needs a command; try

apt-listbugs list somepackage

I don't see that there's any way to tell it to list all bugs in any
package.

Celejar