Re: suid, www-data user, and gui program amarok, not working together.

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 17:14:31 Thomas Anderson wrote:
> Why can't the binary execute "amarok -t" when it is confirmed that it
> is indeed running as user "tommy"?

X doesn't authenticate connections based on uid.  (For one thing, connections
need not be from the local machine.  But uid is not used even on the same
machine.)  Read the manpage for xauth(1) and see if you can figure it out.

> I've been at it for hours. Any ideas on how to proceed and perhaps
> solve my problem?

I've never figured it out, but I haven't spent that much time on it.

You might not need to set up the right xauth stuff anyway.  KDE 3.x
applications could be controlled through dcop, and its authentication is
limited to "can you open my control socket", so it'll work as long as you can
switch to the correct uid.  KDE 4.x applications can be controlled through
dbus, and its authentication is similar.

You can use the "dcop" utility to browse dcop sessions and make dcop calls.
You can use the "kdcop" graphical utility to browse dcop as well.  The "qdbus"
utility is similar to "dcop", but for dbus.  I'm not sure if there is a
"kdcop" equivalent for dbus yet.