Re: Mplayer - can it play audio cd's.........

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:19:50 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
> Sadly it doesn't work for me Stephen. Obviously my lappy doesn't have
> the cable lead from CDROM to speaker. :-( sigh
> But just reading the man page that little application is a treasure for
> any lappy where they haven't decided to save another .10cents and pt n
> the cable.

Well, if there's no CD audio cable between the CD-ROM drive and the sound
card, then you're right, it won't work.  But before you give up,
check a few more things.

Run "alsamixer"

1.  Check to make sure that the CD column is not muted.  Do you see "MM"
at the bottom instead of "OO"?  If so, unmute the channel with the "m" key.
Pressing the m key toggles the mute control on and off.  Obviously, make
sure that the CD column is the current column before you do this.

2.  Make sure that the volume in the CD column is turned up.

----

3.  If the CD drive successfully receives the "play" command, you will
see the activity light flash on and off in extremely regular intervals.
Do you see the activity light flash?  If not, the CD drive probably
didn't receive the command.

4.  If the CD drive has a headphone jack on the front, insert a pair
of headphones and listen there.  Do you hear anything?  Some CD
drives also have an audio volume control on the front as well.
Play around with that to see if it does anything.

If the activity light flashes regularly, and you hear sound
through the headphones, and the CD channel in alsamixer is
unmuted and the volume control is up, but you still hear no
sound through the laptop speakers, chances are that the audio
cable between the CD drive and the sound card is missing.