Re: Can Anyone Explain the over-all view of Wireless Networking?

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:03:56 -0600, Kent West wrote:

[...]

> Now I get no dhcp offers received. I don't understand how ifup/down and
> /etc/modules and udev and /etc/network/interfaces and "wpa-conf
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" and iwlist/spy/scan/whatever
> and eth0 vs wlan0 vs sit0 and auto eth1 vs allow-hotplug eth1 and wep vs
> wep-key vs open vs wpa, etc, all work together.

[...]

> 01:08.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

[...]

> westk@evoljasen:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> #allow-hotplug eth0
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> #    wireless_essid humanslivehere
>     wireless-essid ACUWireless open
                                 ^^^^
               This seems wrong to me.

>     wireless-keymode open
I would try "wireless-key off" instead.

> #wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Check with "/sbin/iwconfig wlan0" if the system has taken over the essid
correctly and if it actually associates with the right access point.
Also run the command as root to make sure you see "Encryption key:off".

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |