Re: don't upgrade grub or grub-pc ! what's wrong with LILO ?

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 02:09:42PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:

> If you can *find* it, yes.  For example, if you are running "sid", and
> a new upload breaks, you may be able to find an older version in
> "testing" that still works.  But if you are running "testing" and an
> upload breaks, where are you going to find a down-level version that
> you can install?  The version in "stable" was probably compiled with
> a back-level C compiler and may require a back-level C run-time
> library, etc.  If you have backups of your /var/cache/apt/archives/
> directory, you may be able to find a .deb package file for a
> downlevel release.  But in my case I run "aptitude clean" after
> each upgrade to free disk space.  If I were running grup-pc and
> testing, and a migration of a grub-pc package from sid to testing
> caused my system to be unbootable, I don't know where I would even
> be able to *find* a downlevel .deb package to install from, especially
> if it had been more than a few days between the migration from sid
> to testing and when I ran my upgrade.  By then, all the mirrors would
> have updated.

All the more reason to install apt-listbugs on any testing or sid
system. There's also the fact that breakage like this *should* prevent
the package from migrating to testing in the first place. As far as I
know the version of grub2 in testing is still 1.98~20100115-1 which
works fine.

Cheers,
Tom

--
QOTD:
	"Who?  Me?  No, no, NO!!  But I do sell rugs."