Re: Rsyslog template

On 27.01.2010 06:21, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> less than a fan of rsyslog after upgrading to Lenny and finding that rsyslog has
> a virtual memory footprint of over 30MB(!) compared to only a few hundred
> kilobytes for the old sysklogd.  Rsyslog is a $deity d@mn memory hog, and
> there's no good reason for that.  Any syslogd should be miserly on resources.

You need to be careful with those numbers. That is virtual memory, which doesn't
tell you a lot, and is is basically due to rsyslog using modules.
The linux linker reserves 10Mb virtual memory per dlopened  module.
The default debian rsyslog.conf comes with 2 modules loaded = 20Mb + 10 Mb for
the rsyslog main process = 30 Mb virtual memory.

What is more interesing is the resident or writable memory.

rsyslog uses 560 Kb of resident memory on my machine.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?