Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2010 #190

On Mon,  1 Feb 2010 18:18:09 +0000 (UTC)

> And it looks like the drain just got stopped up.
> The goals of grub are laudable.  But the boot process is a very
> hardware specific thing, and trying to create a "one size fits all"
> boot loader that works on all platforms is a daunting task.
> Neither grub nor grub2 works on the s390 platform, for example.
> It uses a program called zipl as its boot loader.
>
> If lilo works for you, and you're happy with it,
> then stick with it.  That's my advice, for what it's worth.

Sounds good to me.  I just thought that maybe lilo was no longer
maintained or had some other bit-rot related affliction.

But I installed it, and it works just fine.

There is a little strangeness with the whole initramfs might be too big
an image for your bios thing.  But i went to the debian readme and did
what it said.  More importantly the messages present when I installed
the package told me all of this so there were no surprises.

The only strange thing it did was assigned a partition as
the boot device as opposed to the boot device, i.e. /dev/sda2 instead
of /dev/sda.  minor change to /etc/lilo.conf and everything was a-ok.

So lilo works for me, and I'm happy with it :-)

Brian