Re: Postscript: Grub2 in current Squeeze

Sorry for the absence of thread connection.  This mailer doesn't
provide In-reply-to.

From	View message header detail Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
Date	Monday, February 1, 2010 12:08

From: Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
Date: Monday, February 1, 2010 12:30
> Well, if the OP really was performing a BIOS upgrade, then yes,
> you're right of course.

Sorry everyone.  The BIOS report is from the SCSI adapter.
I should have refrained from mention of it in the original message.
Reference  http://carnot.yi.org/Console.jpg

From	View message header detail Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
Date	Monday, February 1, 2010 11:43
> You have to chroot your squeeze install and (1) run grub-install for
> /boot/grub to be populated afresh from /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc and stage
>1 and stage 2 to be created and set up and (2) run update-grub.

The Lenny installer CD comes to this screen.
"Rescue operations

Execute a shell in /dev/hda1"
chroot isn't mentioned but I assumed it's there.

In any case, grub-install and update-grub appeared to run
properly.  Yet rebooting led to the same black screen and
repeated reboots!  Bad drive?

From	View message header detail Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com>
Date	Monday, February 1, 2010 12:30
> I just think [grub]'s too unstable for production use at this time.

I'm not a software engineer but would have expected that,
by now, criteria are available to assess release readiness.
For example, the ISO 9000 family, might be relevant.

Thanks for any further ideas,          ... Peter E.