Re: Firefox (and Iceweasel) are unable to play Youtube videos

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:12:47 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:16:03 -0500 (EST), Klistvud wrote:
> > In all honesty, is there anybody over the mental age of 9 that actually
> > "enjoys" flash???
>
> I hate it too.  But as with most things in life, it all comes down to
> money.  The bottom line is, "it sells".  Or at least the Madison Avenue
> types think that it does.  The whole goal of advertising is to get
> your attention.  And from their point of view, even negative attention is
> better than no attention.  And from their point of view, making the web
> page non-functional without flash is a good thing.  That forces you to
> view the ads, which increases their revenue.

But don't forget that Google, a company for which the selling of
advertising is its raison d'être, has thrived on its signature small,
unobtrusive, text-link ads, rather than huge, annoying, garish Flash
monstrosities.

Celejar