Evolution not remembering passwords

Hi

My partner is experiencing a really irritating problem that I cannot find a fix for using Google, so I am turning to the collective wisdom of this list for a possible steer.

My partner is running Evolution 2.22.3.1 on an up-to-date Lenny installation, with KDE as the DE (although all Gnome-related libraries are also installed). Even though the relevant box is ticked to save passwords for her email accounts (she runs two in Evolution), neither password is remembered when Evolution loads up. This is a royal PITA because they are strong (& hence, convoluted) passwords to keep typing in just because Evolution is unable to "remember" the passwords used. I have deleted the config files, uninstalled Evolution and re-installed it, but nada. Searching through Google suggests that this may be a bug, but as there are no follow ups to the filing of the bug report, nor any user who seems to have fixed this to date, I am at a loss as to what I can do to make my partner's experience of using Evolution just that bit more pleasant. This has been a problem ever since it was installed, but her tolerance to just accept it has reached its end ... hence my request for ideas and guidance.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

AG