Re: Two computers in one: two users each with their own accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

On Friday 08 January 2010 13:43:19 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 1/8/2010 1:35 PM:
> > Yet again, you make no points about OpenGL that have not been make about
> > X in the past.  Yet, X (and I'm pretty sure OpenGL) still *work* over the
> > network.
>
> Cite an example of a current working Linux remote OpenGL implementation.
>  I'd love to read about it.

Standard Xorg.

Your statement had me confused, and I read it as an implication that it
wouldn't work with what I had running.  However, I've just confirmed that the
GLX extension is reported as available, and functions (albeit slowly) when
using remote X.

I used two computers to test, though I suppose there may be other ways to do
it.  The steps were simple.

1.  Start an X server on my laptop.  This X server must accept network
connections.  I used a second X server, since I use a login manager that
starts X with the -nolisten option.  I also turned off access control for this
second X server.  Note the IP address of this system.

2.  Ssh to my desktop.  OpenSSH's X forwarding feature is neither used nor
desired.

3.  Using a command like (DISPLAY=$IP:1 glxgears) or (DISPLAY=$IP:1 glxinfo)
run a program that uses the GLX extension.  Note that even if direct rendering
works locally, it will not be advertised over network connections.  As such,
any actual drawing will be slower than when direct rendering is available.

4.  I had to switch VTs to the X server that was handling the OpenGL commands
for the GLX calls to complete.  Likely, the video driver I am using requires
exclusive access to the hardware to process some GLX requests.