Re: insserv + apache2 + bind9 = pain

On Thu December 30 2010 16:24:19 Tom H wrote:
> As an aside, you refer to the pre-insserv setup as "Snn/Knn startup
> mechanism" but insserv doesn't deviate from that style. insserv
> creates the Snn/Knn symlinks dynamically in an order determined by a
> set of dependencies. pre-insserv the symlinks' order was set
> statically by the maintainers.

That's a good point Tom.  insserv is not even properly parallel,
just some kind of half-@$$ed semi-parallel - starting groups of
services in parallel but the groups are run serially.  I'd like
to call the old mechanism "sysv-rc" but the insserv developer has
abused the Debian package upgrade process to turn "sysv-rc" into
insserv hell.

We're trying to figure out the cleanest way to stop insserv from
throwing away all the Snn/Knn information that Debian Developers
have created over the years.  Then we'll attempt to reset the
Snn/Knn to those sane values.

My first thought was a loop over "update-rc.d $script defaults" but
that no longer seems to work.  Still looking for a clean remedy.
Hopefully there's a nice on-off switch in there somewhere.  I'm
mostly working on some other projects now but I hope to be able to
work on this full-time in a few days.

--Mike Bird