[slightly OT] Internet accessible home security systems using Debian?

Does anybody have any experience installing/using an internet accessible home security system?

We recently bought a retirement home, but it will be a year or so before we can move in -- leaving the place uninhabited most of the time. I'd like to install an inexpensive (under $1000 for parts -- I'll do the installation myself) CC-TV ("CC"="closed circuit") and recorder that can be connected to a Linux-based computer I can access over the Internet.

Has anybody done such a thing?  Any recommendations?

A friend recommended Apex CC-TV. Their web site has a setup with 4 cameras and a 250GB DVR that has "the ability to remotely view live and recorded video from any Internet connection." Has anybody here ever dealt with them? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Rick