Re: How to upgrade chain-booted grub-pc?

In <[🔎] 201012291228.07815.mgb-debian@yosemite.net>, Mike Bird wrote:
>A dist-upgrade to Squeeze results in a chain boot
>comprising both grub1 (grub-pc) and grub2.

That is one option.  Once you have grub2 working, it is recommended that you
do an upgrade-from-grub-legacy to remove the chain booting and use GRUB2
proper.

>Today's grub-pc update now wants to know where to
>automatically install, presumably because it does
>not recognize grub2's chain-boot setup.

(Assuming you are talking about the package migration chain-booting, and no
some exotic setup you configured yourself.)

I've been through that debconf and a reboot, I think.  Choose the devices you
use for booting.  The package will properly detect that chain-booting is
currently set up and not replace the MBR on any of the devices.  Once you get
around to doing a upgrade-from-grub-legacy, the package will use install the
GRUB2 MBR on those devices at that time and after each upgrade of GRUB2.