Re: Trouble upgrading Squeeze

Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Today there were 459MB of updates to DL.

With /only/ 459MB it can't have been that long since your last
upgrade.  :-)

> I was unable to Ctl-C out of this and closed the xterm and restarted it.

If you can't kill a program then simply closing the window is unlikely
to kill it either.  Next time this happens to you look to see if the
process is still running with ps.

  $ ps -efH | less +/dpkg

If a program is still running and you need it to stop then you can
send signals its way to kill it.

  $ kill $PROCESS_ID_NUMBER

> I then tried to rerun the above dpkg command, but had to remove
> the lock file first.

And then check that it actually was killed.  I think in your case it
was still running.

I am not saying it is a good idea to kill dpkg and apt processes this
way.  But I think that is better than thinking they are killed by
closing a window and having them still actually running.

> I have run the dpkg command several times, now.
> Sometimes I have needed to remove the lock file, and sometimes not.

That isn't good.

I wonder why you were having such trouble.  Perhaps you were running
out of virtual memory on your netbook?  If so then adding a swap file
might help you in the future.  Assuming that is the problem and not
something else.

How much ram do you have?  How much virtual memory total (with swap)?

> If not, what should I do to get the system back into a stable state?
> Since this is a netbook, I don't have a floppy, or CD drive to boot
> a rescue disk from, so I really need to be confident that it will
> boot up.  It is running OK now, but a reboot has me worried.

Can you boot from the USB?  In that case as a fallback plan I would
put together a USB boot of a rescue system such as the
debian-installer.  The d-i has a rescue mode available.  Then in the
worst case if you can't boot you can boot to rescue mode and repair
your system.  Or use a different USB boot system for rescue and repair
such as KNOPPIX or whatever.

I don't have any great references but lacking anything else you could
start looking here:

  http://wiki.debian.org/BootUsb

Bob