Re: Recommendations for massive dhcp settings

On 12/30/2010 09:05 AM, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

Hi all!

I have a network of over a hundred machines in which we are using a DHCP
server on Debian GNU/Linux Lenny. But the dhcpd.conf file is monolithic
and unwieldy.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I've been thinking about a similar problem & what I'd like to do would possibly require the DHCP server use a database back-end instead of a flat file. What I would like is for it to automatically give each new client an IP address and then enter that address as a static entry, every time a known client requests an IP address it would update a "last seen" field so that if it runs out of address space it would overwrite the MAC address of the entry with the oldest "last seen" field.