Re: lenny auto upgrade

Filipe Freire wrote:
> I am running lenny, kernel 2.6.26-2, on a desktop.  Yesterday I did a update
> of new packages and many things do not work afterwards.

New packages in Lenny?  Do you mean security upgrades?

  http://www.debian.org/security/

> I started with an installation of new packages (as I often do with
> new updates).  As things were not working well afterwards I run
> aptitude dist-upgrade.  At the end I lost the network connection.

It is not clear.  You are upgrading Lenny packages?  Such as security
upgrades?  Most of the time, 99.44% (an exact number that I just made
up on the spot) 'apt-get upgrade' works for Debian Stable.  But
sometimes two cases occur that need 'apt-get dist-upgrade' instead.

One is that the maintainer that uploaded the newer package links it
with newer libraries and if you haven't previously installed those
then the upgrade will need to be an dist-upgrade in order to add a new
package to the system.  This is almost always inadvertant but most
maintainers will not avoid it since doing so would require them to
manually build an exact replacement upon ever architecture that Debian
supports (because the autobuilders will have the newer dependency).

The second time is as a conscious decision.  One example is the recent
bind9 security upgrade.  They moved from one version of libraries to
another and called it out as a need in the release note.

  http://www.debian.org/security/2010/dsa-2130

Both of those cases are unpleasant for Stable systems because it
requires a higher level of manual interaction.  But so it is.  But
ONLY IN THOSE CASES would a dist-upgrade ever be needed on a stable
system.  That is one of the safety checks.  If you ever need anything
more then it is an alert that something is not right and needs further
investigation before proceeding.

> Lost internet connection, mounting usb, etc.  The usb has been fixed by
> providing the UUID of the device instead of the name but I still can not get
> my network connection to work.
>
> My packages are now a mixture of lenny and squeeze.  I was not aware of the
> new squeeze release.

Squeeze has NOT been released.  Are you intentionally upgrading to the
Squeeze release candidate?  Why do you now have a mixture of Squeeze
and Lenny packages?  This isn't normal and can only happen because of
something that you changed on your system.

Look in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  For a Lenny system (in the
US) you should see something similar to this:

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian lenny main
  deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
  deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

If you don't, if you see squeeze there, then that is the source of
your problems.  You have then inadvertently mixed your system up.

> I locked at possible solutions to get the networking running but
> nothing works, including the different squeeze intructions in
> /etc/network/interfaces but to no avail.
>
> Did anyone had a similar problem?  Suggestions are very welcome.

If you have accidentally mixed your system up between Lenny and
Squeeze then because Squeeze is very close to release you would
probably be better off to go ahead and perform a full upgrade to
Squeeze.  Because downgrading would be tedious and error prone and at
this very close to release state moving forward would be more
advisable.

Read this reference:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade

And this how-to-recover reference might help you now:

  http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#how-to-recover

Bob